May is Motorcycle Safety Awareness Month, which serves as an annual reminder for drivers to be more vigilant in looking out for motorcyclists and for riders to focus on safe riding practices. This month-long campaign is aimed at encouraging all road users to share the road responsibly and to foster a safer environment for everyone. By raising awareness of the unique challenges faced by motorcyclists, we can help reduce the number of accidents and injuries involving motorcycles. As Georgia personal injury lawyers, we understand the unique challenges that motorcycle riders face and the devastating consequences of accidents.
Preventing Accidents at Intersections
Intersections are common sites for motorcycle accidents. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), about 50 percent of motorcycle accidents occur when approaching intersections. More specifically, over 40 percent are caused by drivers making left turns. The smaller frame of a motorcycle makes it less visible to other motorists, increasing the risk of an accident.
Tips for Motorcycle and Scooter Riders
To prevent accidents at intersections, motorcyclists should:
- Avoid riding in a car’s blind spot. Be mindful of drivers’ head movements and turn signals, as these can indicate a lane change or turn.
- Slow down when approaching intersections and be prepared to react to sudden changes in traffic flow.
- Make use of proper signaling and maintain a safe following distance.
- Wear high-visibility clothing and use appropriate lighting to enhance visibility.
Tips for Drivers
Drivers can also contribute to motorcycle safety at intersections by:
- Looking twice for motorcycles before entering an intersection or making a turn.
- Being extra cautious in poor weather conditions.
- Avoiding driving distracted or under the influence.
- Giving motorcycles the same right-of-way considerations as other vehicles.
Because motorcycles do not provide the protection of a large vehicle surrounding the passengers, a wreck on a motorcycle can cause more catastrophic injuries than a crash in a car or truck. Click here to learn more about motorcycle accidents and how the attorneys at Wood Craig Miller can help you.
In our next article, we will discuss Tips for Group Rides and Proper Gear and Maintenance for Motorcyclists.
Injured in a car accident? Don’t hesitate to get started on your case by calling Wood Craig Miller, LLC at , or contact us online to schedule a free consultation. We’re knowledgeable on federal and state traffic laws and have helped countless injured drivers and passengers in our community.